So many persons have lost their lives in a rather cheap manner. With no power supply from the electricity company serving the area, they would rather turn on the generator in a room (to avoid theft) in the apartment they are staying and go to bed. This will result to death in sleep. They will be joined with the long list of thousands of people who had been lost across the country to generator fumes over the years.
The fumes emitted by generators are fatal, often without the victims, who are mostly asleep, knowing or realising the danger. They also have long-term hazards as a possible cause of lung cancer. Experts therefore advise people using the device to never run a generator indoors or in any area where ventilation is limited and people or animals are present.
We understand that due to the poor supply of electricity in Nigeria, most offices, shops and homes are now being run by generators. Indeed, the state of Nigeria’s power infrastructure has created an environmental nightmare across the country. Almost every family, in what Nigerians have dubbed “face -me -I- face-you” apartment, has a small power generating set, derogatorily known as “I-better–pass my neighbour”. So bad is the situation that in some houses as many as 10 generating sets could be found within a radius of five metres.
Yes, generators provide “emergency” power for light, fans, fridges, television to video games and such like. But aside the noise and pollution they emit, there are also health costs. As most health experts have warned, fumes from these generators could be deadly. The fumes contain carbon monoxide, a dangerous invisible, odourless and colourless gas. When inhaled, carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the tissues and can easily lead to death. The tell–tale signs on the victims are dizziness, nausea, headache, even confusion, symptoms mistakenly attributed to too much alcohol or sun; or something else. That explains why the story of people who sleep at night with their generator on without waking up the next morning has now become a common tale. Besides, exposure to moderate and high levels of carbon monoxide over a long period of time has been linked with an increased risk of heart disease. This could lead to a shorter life span.
What is particularly worrisome about this development is that as pervasive as it is, there is still no public awareness campaign by the relevant authorities on the dangers posed by generators.
Therefore, against the background that hardly a week passes without reports of fatalities resulting from generator fumes, users must be made aware of the necessary precautions to take.